Congratulations! Planning for maternity leave is exciting.
Several leaves work together to give you time away while you’re out. Here’s how it works:
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) gives you up to 12 weeks off for you to have your baby and recover from childbirth.
- Hitachi Vantara gives you up to 4 weeks through our Disability program before planned delivery and 6-8 weeks after, depending on the type of delivery. This may be extended if it is medically necessary.
- After the 6–8 weeks mentioned above with Disability, twelve additional weeks of your leave is paid, at 80% of your salary, through Paid Family Leave (PFL).
- If you live in California
- Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL) provides up to 4 months of leave, but it’s important to know that it runs concurrently with FMLA leave.
Who is Eligible?
FMLA: You’re eligible for job-protected leave if you have worked at Hitachi Vantara for at least 12 months, and worked at least 1,250 hours during those 12 months.
PDL: All female employees who live in California are eligible for PDL, regardless of how long you’ve worked at Hitachi Vantara or for how many hours.
PFL: All employees who enroll in Short-Term Disability (STD).
Is My Job Protected?
Maternity FMLA: Your job is protected.
PDL: Your job is protected.
Will I Get Paid While I’m Out?
Time away is unpaid, unless you’re eligible for PFL or our Disability program. Here’s a timeline of how it breaks down:
- 4 weeks before expected delivery date = Disability
- 6–8 weeks after actual delivery = Disability
- 12 weeks of bonding after Disability = Family Leave
You may also be able to supplement your pay with any sick or vacation time. While on leave, you still have access to your email and any internal network systems; however, you will not have access to myTime to request and record sick and vacation time. Please work directly with Larkin and Hitachi Vantara regarding using your sick or vacation time for pay when you’re out.
How Can I Apply?
Contact Larkin about your need for leave at least 30 days in advance if possible. They will be your main point of contact throughout your leave, and will coordinate with Hitachi Vantara directly as needed.
What Should I Do When I’m Ready to Come Back?
During your leave, stay in touch with Larkin.
When you’re ready to come back to work, you will need to provide the applicable paperwork to Larkin that confirms you’re ready for work. Larkin will work directly with Hitachi Vantara to coordinate. On your first day back, make sure to check in with your manager.