Several leaves work together to give you time away while you’re out. Here’s how it works:
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) gives you up to 12 weeks off to recover if you have a serious medical condition. During this time, your job is protected.
- California Family Rights Act (CFRA) gives up to 12 weeks off for those who live in California.
- Hitachi Vantara Medical Leave gives you up to 52 weeks off—with a doctor’s approval—until you qualify for Long-Term Disability.
Let’s learn a little more about each, including how pay works and how to apply for leave:
Up to 12 weeks off is provided through the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) if you have a serious medical condition. If you live in California, your time away from work runs concurrently with the California Family Rights Act (CFRA).
A “serious medical condition” is defined as an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves:
- Treatment at a hospital, hospice, or residential medical care facility
- Any incapacity that requires you to be away from work for more than 5 consecutive days
- Continuing treatment by, or under the supervision of, a healthcare provider for a chronic or long-term health condition
Who is Eligible?
You’re eligible if you’ve worked at Hitachi Vantara for at least 12 months, and worked at least 1,250 hours during those 12 months. If you start a leave and have not met these eligibility criteria and meet them while on leave, your FMLA/CFRA period will start automatically at the point in your leave when you have met them.
Hitachi Vantara Medical Leave
Up to 52 weeks off is provided if you have a serious medical condition.
Who is Eligible?
All Hitachi Vantara employees.
Is My Job Protected?
Medical FMLA/CFRA: Your job is protected in most cases. This is compliant with federal and state law.
Hitachi Vantara Medical Leave: While you’re out, your job is not protected if you have used all of your FMLA/CFRA leave.
Will I Get Paid While I’m Out?
You may be eligible for pay through our Disability program. You may also be able to supplement your pay with any sick or vacation time. While on leave, you still have access to your email and any internal network systems; however, you will not have access to myTime to request and record sick and vacation time. Please work directly with Larkin and Hitachi Vantara regarding using your sick or vacation time for pay when you’re out.
How Can I Apply for a Medical Leave?
Contact Larkin about your need for leave at least 30 days in advance if possible. They will be your main point of contact throughout your leave, and will coordinate with Hitachi Vantara directly as needed.
What Should I Do When I’m Ready to Come Back?
During your leave, stay in touch with Larkin.
When you’re ready to come back to work, you will need to provide the applicable paperwork to Larkin that confirms you’re ready to return to work. Larkin will work directly with Hitachi Vantara to coordinate your return and any accommodations you may require. On your first day back, make sure to check in with your manager.